Thursday, October 18, 2007

They're finally catching on!

I have decided there is hope for the Generation X-ers and Baby Boomers when learning about social media.

This morning on Atlanta and Company, a woman came to talk about the new website, peachymoms.com. It is a social network created for moms in and around the Atlanta area.

Sounds cool, right? Exactly.

There are blogs, forums, tips and other articles written to cater to a mother's needs. In fact, there are even forums for moms with kids of different ages: preschool all the way to empty-nesters.

The site was just launched last Monday, and it already looks like it's been well received.

I actually looked at a post a middle school mom had made about her child creating a MySpace profile. She made her post, and four different moms replied to her question. I know that may not seem like a lot, but I'm sure they had no clue what they were doing. It's a new process for them, too.

The woman on the show said the two most popular topics discussed were posted by newcomers in the Atlanta area and moms who wanted to know about organic food. There is information on where to get it, how to afford it and why it's better. With the new people to the area, nine posts have been submitted, and most of them have received replies. That's a pretty good turn-out for a Web site that isn't even two weeks old.

The peachymoms Web site is also a social network. To join, I had to create a profile, and, for the first time, I had to click on pictures of birds as a security setting. Interesting, I know.

Each person's profile isn't as detailed as the ones facebook suggests, but let's face it. Moms don't care what your favorite movies or quotes are. Basic information, web page URLs and interests are asked for. You can also have a profile picture.

Three main blogs are linked to the home page. Valerie Hoff, an 11 Alive broadcaster, hosts a blog about the work-family balance. Robby Carroll has been a parenting coach in the area for years, and his blog is filled with informative tips and crisis avoiders. Cindy Simmons, a radio host, is the author of the 3rd blog. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose is, but I think it mainly focuses on her dealing with her crazy life. She says, "how peachy is my life today?"

There are two reasons why I feel encouraged by this creation:
1. As a student learning about the ins-and-outs of social media, I am excited it has finally moved to the before generation, and I am glad to know they're learning how to use it.
2. As a future mom, I am encouraged that there are networks and groups of people who are creative and innovative enough to realize a need and pick the right remedy to solve it.

I was so excited to hear about this awesome Web site this morning. What a cool idea!

1 comment:

Lizzie Azzolino said...

Katherine, I agree that it's very motivating to see that moms have their own online social network. I know it's a little early, but I'm already interested in many of the topics on the site.

Your post made me wonder what other non-traditional social networks are out there. Take a look at http://www.retiredbutactive.com/, an online network that caters to the over-50s. There are "zones" on lifestyle, planning, work, facilities and even companions--online dating!!

There's something for everyone now!